Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The British Museum

This morning, we went to the British Museum. The wonderful thing about museums here are they are free, you just pay a recommended donation. The British Museum had a large amount of artifacts from various regions. Admittedly, I am not an artifacts person, or at least not household artifacts. (I thought I would be seeing historic paintings and sculptures.) In any case, it was a very cool and well-maintained building. And so we began.

The first room of ancient pottery was pretty interesting. The second room of ancient figurines was fine. The third room of ancient weaponry was just a bit much for me. The weaponry happened to be exclusively from Nubia (though it is possible that was where the figurines or pottery was from instead).

The atrium. On the atrium floor, the museum had a cafeteria and a gift shop.


Unfortunately, I got in trouble for trying to touch one of the artifacts. Actually, I didn't really even touch anything. I just saw a really cool depiction of an ancient ritual (can't remember which ritual). However, it caught my eye because it looked like the artist incorporated shadows in the etching, which seemed odd for this particular era (in my academic opinion, haha).

Anyway, I couldn't tell whether it was the artist or the museum's lighting that created this shadow detail. To test my theory, I held out my hand and moved it closer to the etching. This was to see if my hand created a shadow on the etching. Suddenly, this alarm started ringing. I immediately dropped my hand, and the ringing stopped.

Lesson learned: The British have quite advanced technology.

And that, is enough about that.

We say goodbye to the British Museum.

No comments: